These were made with egg shaped cutters for Easter.
Makes approx. 36 cookies depending on size of your cutters
– 3 sticks softened salted butter
– 1 cup white sugar (super fine works best)
– 1 egg
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 4 cups all purpose flour (and an additional 1/4 cup for rolling out on counter)
– ½ teaspoons salt (taste you dough before you start rolling… you may want to add a bit more salt)
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together, beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour cup by cup with blender on low, add salt.
2. Divide dough into 4 patties. Wrap in plastic or parchment and cool in fridge for at least 1 hour (you could also use the next day).
3. Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
4. Use a bit of flour to help roll out the dough to be 1/8″ thick… do not make too thin! Cut into your favorite shapes and transfer onto baking sheets covered in parchment. Bake about 10 minutes – until you can JUST see a very slight browning at edges. Transfer whole parchment paper to cooling rack. Allow to fulling cool before icing.
5. Make icing. Paint icing on with a brush.
– 2 cups powdered sugar
– 4 tbs whole milk
Put powdered sugar in bowl and add the milk. Mix with electric mixer or whisk… add milk or sugar to get consistency you want… I like it pretty thick. Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate… it will thicken and develop a crust if left out. Divide up into small bowls and add food coloring to make a bunch of colors. if possible, use 1 brush per color so the colors stay clean and bright. Allow to sit to dry for many hours- preferably overnight. These are tastier the day after baking.