Ingredients for Meringue:
– 4 egg whites (room temperature)
– ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
– 1 cup granulated sugar
Ingredients for Lemon Curd Filling:
– 9 egg yolks
– ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
– ½ cup extra fine sugar
– 1 stick butter
– 1 pinch fine sea salt
Directions to make meringue:
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl, beat the eggs on the highest speed until they begin to form soft peaks. Continue to beat on high and add the cream of tartar. Then slowly add sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Beat on high, and be sure to scrape the sides to make sure all sugar gets mixed in.
3. When mixture starts to form stiff peaks, fill a piping bag with mixture.
4. Slowly pipe ‘egg-shaped’ circles on the parchment paper on the baking sheets. Make about 2-3 circles with piping bag without lifting the tip, while also leaving room in the middle for the lemon filling.
5. Bake at 300F for 10 minutes, then bake for 10 more minutes at 250F or until meringues are hard. Turn oven off, remove meringues from oven, and allow to cool for about an hour and a half on the baking sheet.
Directions to make lemon curd filling:
1. First, pass egg yolks through a fine mesh strainer into a medium size mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula or bowl scraper to make sure you get every bit of yolk possible. Cut the butter into small pats, and reserve in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Next whisk sugar and lemon juice into the strained yolks. Transfer this mixture in to a medium sauce pot, and clean your mixing bowl (you will need to use it again).
3. Now, begin to cook the lemony-yolk mixture over low heat, stirring constantly. When the mixture reaches 160 degrees, remove from the heat and strain once more into the clean mixing bowl. This ensures a smooth clump-free filling. Add a pinch of salt, and then stir in the butter one to two pieces at a time until fully melted.
4. When all of the butter is incorporated, cover the curd with plastic wrap resting on the surface, and refrigerate until completely cool. Transfer the cool lemon curd filling to a piping bag, and store in the fridge until ready to use, or up to 7 days.
To fill egg meringues, spoon the lemon filling into the egg and serve!