As amusing as it may sound, there’s actually a right and a wrong way to shop for bathroom hardware. Aside from the design factor, which is always important if you want your home to look nice, there are plenty of other features that make pieces of bathroom hardware good or bad.
Knowing how to choose and invest it bathroom hardware will add both style and functionality to this room, making sure that you get everything you hoped for. So, without any more chit-chat, let’s dig into the world of bath hardware and go over the need-to-know stuff, as well as some awesome products you can buy.
How to Choose Your Bathroom Hardware
When we refer to bath hardware, there are plenty of different categories to consider, each with its own set of features that you have to pay attention to. To make processing this new information easier, let’s address each of the main hardware categories and determine what it is you have to consider before deciding where your money goes.
The first category of bathroom hardware consists of towel rings, bars, and toilet paper holders. These are usually the most basic items you can find in such a hardware set, and having one of each is generally all you need for your bathroom. When you’re choosing a set with these pieces, you should first make sure they are made from quality metal (plastic is also an option, but it’s typically one with a shorter lifespan). Also make sure that the set you want to buy has a finish that matches your current bathroom décor.
Another bathroom hardware category consists of shelves and hooks which are useful for extra storage. You can use hooks for towels and robes, and shelves are perfect for other items that you want to have in your bathroom but lack other storage space for it. The things you have to pay attention to here are the materials used to make these, as well as the ease of installation.
Hardware and Plumbing
Lights & Mirrors
The last category of bathroom hardware consists of bath mirrors and light fixtures. While there isn’t much to say about mirrors because here it mostly depends on the shape, size, and finish that you prefer, bath fixtures are a different story. They need to be certified as being safe to use in a humid environment, they should be save and made from quality materials, they should provide enough light for you to actually see what you’re doing (which is important if you’re using your bathroom mirror to shave or put make-up on).
Pros & Cons of Bathroom Hardware Sets
It’s going to be difficult to pinpoint the pros and cons of bath hardware sets for two reasons: first of all, because there are so many different types of products that are considered to be bathroom hardware, and second, because there are a lot of factors that determine whether or not these products are good or bad. However, we wanted to give you a general overview of the advantages and drawbacks of buying a hardware set for your bathroom, so let’s give it a shot:
- Pro: You can get everything you need with a single purchase. When you’re redecorating, one of the biggest headaches is having to buy every single thing that you need for your bathroom. With a hardware set, you can find all these products without too much trouble, which helps you save time and frustrations.
- Con: If you purchase a hardware set made from high quality materials, such as metal, they tend to be rather expensive. Of course, there are cheaper choices out there, but plastic isn’t something that we really recommend. Besides, if you’re interested in a good investment and products that will last you for years, it’s a good idea to be willing to spend more.
- Pro: All the items in a set have similar design and are made from the same materials, which means that your bathroom will have a more cohesive look. If you want a bathroom that looks good, you want the hardware used to be similar, and investing in a set will help you achieve that unified look.
- Con: During your quest to finding the right bath hardware set, you will come across a lot of choices that might not have all the products you’re looking for. Even in the examples we’re going to show you in the second part of this article, you will see that plenty of hardware sets mostly have towel bars, toilet paper holders, and bathrobe hooks, and only some of them also come with faucets or lighting fixtures. That means that you might have to dig deep to find a set that you like and that has all the hardware elements you’re in need of.
- Pro: There are so many different styles available, decorating your bathroom with the hardware products of your choice shouldn’t be all that complicated. As a bonus, most of these are super-easy to install and already come with all the mounting hardware needed for the setup process. However, if you have no idea what you’re doing, installing faucets and shower sets might require calling in a specialist.
Bathroom Hardware FAQ
Should all bathroom faucets match?
That depends on how interested you are in having a good-looking bathroom. If you were to have gold tub faucets and silver ones for the sink, then your bathroom would look disjoined. However, if you want your bathroom to look good, try to opt for matching faucets as much as possible.
What is the best metal for bathroom fixtures?
It depends if by “best” you understand “cheapest” or “most durable”. The cheapest material used to make bathroom hardware is plastic, but it will last significantly less compared to all other materials. Stainless steel hardware is the best choice in terms of durability, but brass products will last pretty much the same. Products made from zinc and zinc alloy are good if you want the cheapest metal option out there but, out of all the other metals, they also last the least.
What is the NSF?
Faucets and other plumbing hardware first need to be tested to make sure they’re safe for drinking water. For instance, if a faucet is not lead-free, then you probably shouldn’t be using it in your kitchen or bathroom. NSF is short for National Sanitation Foundation and they are responsible with verifying plumbing hardware and its materials.
Top 9 Best Bathroom Hardware Sets
The first set on
If you want a smaller set that
Looking for a simple and beautiful sent to compliment your current bathroom setup? Here is
What if, on top of all the
Did you like the idea of a bathroom hardware set that included a vanity light fixture but weren’t quite pleased with how the previous set looked? Then
If your bathroom is filled with
Welcome to the king of bathroom hardware sets: a kit that has it all. This set
There are many different categories of products that can be labeled as bathroom hardware. For towel rings to lighting fixtures, knowing about your options when it comes to bath hardware sets is the first step towards making sure you spend money on products that look good, but are also long-lasting.