Incorporate all kinds of cocoa-ish colours using some special effects.
In association with
Get the look
– Let your colours be led by your entryway’s architecture, allowing them to transition where the different forms meet. For visual cohesion, opt for a palette of paints that all have a warm base, using the strongest shade on the floor — its effect will be more grounding and less intense than if you use it at eye level on the walls.
– Use your styling smarts to make an entrance that’s chic and functional, complete with a ‘drop zone’ for keys, coats and boots, plus sculptural twigs that echo the outside world.
– A ripped-up old sheet is ideal for adding this textural rag-rolled finish to your walls. We applied two coats of Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen tinted with Resene Almond Frost, then when dry used a large brush to apply Resene FX Paint Effects Medium mixed with Resene Half Joss in a criss-cross motion, before rolling a rag in random directions over the wet paint. Working on 1m of wall at a time, aim to create an irregular pattern but achieve a uniform finish.
– Create this tile effect on your floor using Resene Walk-on tinted to your chosen colours. Paint the entire floor with two coats of your ‘grout’ colour (we used Resene Swirl), leave to dry, then use painter’s tape to mask a grid pattern over the top. Paint the entire floor with two coats of your ‘tile’ colour (we used Resene Espresso), then when dry remove the tape before applying Resene Concrete Wax for added protection.
– Craft a circular clay hook like the ones below by using a cookie cutter or bowl to make two 1cm-thick discs of air-dry clay, one larger and one smaller. Dampen the underside of the smaller disc to stick it on top of the larger circle before drying overnight. Soften more clay in your hands, then add to your joined discs to smooth away the step between the larger and smaller rounds, embracing the imperfections. Leave to dry overnight again, then mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a testpot of Resene Sambuca and apply two coats. When dry, attach to the wall with a removable hook.
PAINT SWATCHES CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT: Resene Almond Frost, Resene Half Joss, Resene Espresso, Resene Swirl,
MAIN IMAGE: BACKDROP, FROM LEFT Walls in Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Almond Frost (as base), and Resene FX Paint Effects Medium with Resene Half Joss; stairs and bench in Resene Walk-on with Resene Swirl; floor in Resene Walk-on with Resene Swirl ‘grout’, Resene Espresso ‘tiles’ and Resene Concrete Wax,