It’s no secret that I love any craft project using air dry clay. It’s easy to use and doesn’t need firing. If you’ve never worked with air dry clay before I promise you, you’re going to love it.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while now you might recognise these
Some of the above links are affiliate links. If you purchase through them you receive a small commission.
Got questions? Don’t panic, keep reading for my top tips.
Here’s some of the most frequently asked questions.
1. I’ve opened my clay and it looks grey. Does the clay change from the grey I’m seeing to the white in the pictures?
Yes, the clay starts off white and dries to a matte, white finish.
2. Argh, help. My clay is sticking to my work surface, what can I do?
If you haven’t got a
3. Is the clay food safe? What can I use them for? Can I use these bowls for snacks?
The air dry clay isn’t food safe and should be used for decorative purposes only. So far I’ve used mine for storing jewellery, keys and office supplies.
4. My ink has faded, what can I do to fix this?
When choosing an ink pad look for a permanent pigment ink. It takes longer to dry but is fade-resistant. Dye based inks whilst also considered permanent can fade over time when exposed to the sun.
5. The sides of my bowls have wrinkled? How do I stop this from happening?
Apply light, even pressure when pressing the clay into the bowls. When you press too hard the clay can bunch up and wrinkle. Sandwiching the clay between a large bowl and a smaller bowl like in the video is the best way I’ve found to stop this happening.
6. It’s been days and days and my clay still isn’t dry, help!
As the clay is self-hardening the drying time can vary greatly depending on the weather. In warm, dry weather the clay can dry in around 24 hours. However, in cold wet weather (which feels like most of the time here in the U.K.) it can take several says so make sure to allow for extra drying time.
7. I want to varnish mine. Can you recommend a good varnish?
8. How long will they last?
4 years on and I still have the
I think they look so pretty, don’t you? If you’ve got any questions please pop them in the comments below or drop my an email and I’ll try to answer them as best I can.
P.S. Don’t forget to tag me on
P. P.S. If you’re a sucker for air dry clay crafts you might want to check out my other projects