Lavender is the new “Millenial Pink”,
Lavender is here to give “Millennial Pink” a break, elbowing the light Pepto shade off of 2018’s stage and replacing it with a soothing purple. The color has been popping up everywhere, from living room sectionals to dining room walls, and splashed across carefully-picked prints and folded merino wool blankets. While it’s a fun color to work with, some people might be wondering how to use it in their space without reverting back to their 13-year-old selves. As a kid who used to have a lavender-everything room, I can personally attest to how easy it is to veer into saccharine-sweet territory with that shade. But with some careful planning—and a board full of inspiration—lavender can read elegant and sophisticated. See for yourselves.
1. For those who have been eyeing lavender for a while and are ready to make a long term commitment to the trending color, why not paint the whole room with it—walls, bookcases, trimming and all.
2. While it’s true that finding a lilac-hued velvet sofa isn’t as easy as picking out a gray tufted one, trendy spots like Urban Outfitters (
3. Take a page out of
4. If you’re looking for pillows or poufs for your den or living room, try out this velvet lounge chair from Urban Outfitters (
5. Lavender curtains look beautiful when they’re paired with airy and feminine wallpaper, as designer
6. Investing in a lavender armchair lets you experiment with different colors, making them jump against the pastel hue. Here
7. Take a cue from
8. Bring the purple shade outside by picking up patio furniture in lavender hues. Designer
9. If you have an all-white room, light lavender accessories are an attractive way to add a touch of color without breaking up the tranquility and airiness of the space.
10. If you want to play with lavender in a more temporary way, choose an art print saturated in the hue, like Elsie from
11. Tinker with the color in your bedroom by getting a chunky merino throw in the powdery lavender shade. This particular one is from
12. If you’re a music lover with an impressive (or growing!) record collection, try channeling 2018’s new color trend through your record player. This lavender-violet Crosley one from
13. Another painless way to test drive the color trend is to work it into your decorative pillows. This frilly version from
14. Experiment with how the color will change the decor in your living room by swapping out your coffee table for a velvet lavender ottoman like this one from
15. For your bedroom try a purple yarn-dyed duvet cover to bring a splash of lavender to your space, like this one from
16. An easy way to incorporate the hue into your room is to work it through abstract art, like this one from