A reminder: Always follow the instructions that come with your swing. Our hanging suggestions are an additional resource.
The Basics: How to Hang a Chair from a Ceiling
What you need:
1. A hanging chair
2. Hanging hardware. If your chair did not come with hanging hardware, you will need an ⅜-inch eye screw that can hold at least 300 pounds with thread at least 4-inches long.
3. Two quick link chain connectors, S-hooks, or locking carabiners depending on your preference. All must be able to support at least 300 pounds.
4. Electric drill
5. Provided chains or rope. If your chair did not come with this, use heavy-duty galvanized chain, pre-measured. The chair should sit about 3 to 4 feet off the ground. Measure from the ceiling to the chair’s attachment ring, lifted to its desired height off the floor, to find the length of chain you need.
If you prefer rope to galvanized metal chains, here’s what you should know:
– Select a rope that’s at least ¾-inch in diameter and can hold at least 300 pounds.
– Determine how long your ropes need to be so that the bottom of the chair hangs three to four feet off the ground and then add an extra foot for tying knots. You can adjust the length of the rope or cut off excess rope later if needed.
* Choose a spot that allows for at least three feet of space behind the swing and at least 14 inches on either side to prevent hitting a wall or railing.
* If your joist isn’t big enough or you’re worried about the strength, you can r
If your chair did not come with instructions:
– Create a basic
– Attach one loop to the S-hook or carabiner at the eye screw.
– Attach a carabiner to the bottom rope loop and clip it again onto the chair’s hanging ring and lock it closed.
Published on April 24, 2017