Taking up residence in a new home is never as easy as it seems, and things often get more complicated when moving heavy furniture is involved.
Wardrobes, Armoires, and Cabinets are some of the most difficult types of furniture to pack and transport, but with the right strategy and planning, you can make the whole moving process feel incredibly easy.
If you’re in the middle of moving house and looking for some great tips and tricks to get started on the right path, then we have the perfect guide for you today, however, a successful move will still involve a lot of manpower and efficiency on their part; our guide, on the other hand, is just going to help at making things a whole lot easier at your end.
So, what are some of the useful things to do while moving house?
Let’s find out.
How to Pack and Move Wardrobes, Cabinets or Armoires
Making sure to have adequate manpower
Well, first thing’s first, no furniture packing and moving job can be successful without the proper manpower, this fact is especially true when it comes to carrying something as heavy as wardrobes and armoires.
It’s one job that you will not be able to accomplish on your own, and you will need adequate and efficient manpower to get things done on time, if you don’t feel like hiring professional packers and movers for your furniture, then you can always seek to rally up some of your strongest friends to pitch in.
Having all the required tools for the job
To save your precious wardrobes and armoires from damage, you will need to have the proper set of tools to protect them from physical impact.
Here is a list of some useful tools to acquire before you start moving and packing:
Getting the armoire and wardrobe ready for the move
Before we get into details of how to prepare your furniture before the move, let just get one thing cleared up, a lot of people are of the opinion that an armoire and a wardrobe are the same things, but in actuality, these two are completely separate types of furniture.
While a wardrobe is basically a combination of multiple shelves and drawers mixed with hanging rods, an armoire, on the other hand, comprises solely of just two doors and hanging rods. Wardrobes usually take longer to clear, but the cleaning process is the same for both.
So how to prepare your furniture before the big move?
Clear out the contents
An empty armoire/wardrobe is much easier to transport than one which is filled with clothes and garments.
Hence, it’s important to empty the contents beforehand and pack up the parts separately to reduce the overall load and make the moving process easier. For wardrobes, remember to empty out the drawers and cabinets, as well as remove any hanger or sharp objects which could damage the insides during transport.
Another neat trick you can use; is employing wardrobe boxes to keep your packed clothes in and store them away during the move just the way you keep it in the closet.
Make sure that the drawers are secure
A lot of people tend to remove drawers from their furniture, and then move them separately, this keeps them safe during transportation and makes sure that they don’t go out flying when the truck hits a bump.
But if you want to save storage space, and prefer to keep the drawers where they are, do remember to secure them so as to keep them anchored while it’s in the truck.
Remember to remove the glass doors
Traditional armoires generally tend to have glass doors and shelves, so it’s important to have them removed before packing and transportation.
But removing them securely can get quite tricky, so do keep these steps in mind:
- Take out the screws which are attached to the hinges and carefully remove the glass doors.
- Make sure that the screws and other small parts don’t get lost, by placing them inside plastic bags and attaching them to the bottom of the wardrobe/armoire.
- Secure the glass from the physical strain of transportation by wrapping it in packing paper, followed with bubble wrap.
- Wrap your entire armoire in moving blankets/pads. Remember to keep it tight so as to ensure that your drawers are secure.
- You can go a step further and place the doors in a specially made box, or even a furniture blanket; as you see fit.
- Tape the entire thing again for more safety, and don’t forget to cover the wooden legs with the blanket (get a professional or a friend to tilt it for you).
Moving the Furniture
Once you have your wardrobe and armoire packed and ready to go, it’s finally time to load it onto the trucks and take it to your new destination; be careful of how you lift these heavy objects, chances of injury are rather high, and so are the chances of the furniture getting damaged and destroyed.
Here are some tips which are bound to help you out:
- When it comes to moving heavy wardrobes, a furniture dolly is truly a godsend; it makes the process significantly easier, as well as efficient.
- Try to have a lot of help from your friends or professionals to help you support the dolly’s weight when moving the furniture.
- Furniture sliders can also be of great help when moving heavy wardrobes, placing them under the legs will allow you to slide it across the room.
- If you plan on being one of those to be carrying the armoire, then remember to bend at the knees and not the waist, and keep your back straight and upright.
Moving to a new home involves a lot. It’s never easy to transport all of your belongings and furniture, and there are a lot of things that can go wrong during it.
To prevent damage and injury, you need to be careful of a lot of factors. But once you have your new home set up successfully, the feeling is truly priceless.
However, if you want to completely do away with the traditional wardrobes, you can always look into the fitted variety of it. Fitted wardrobe installation costs are quite low, and you will not have to worry about transporting them.
We hope that you enjoyed our guide today.
Till next time!