Pergola gazebo can transform a suburban area or cottage. Such a relatively simple structure not only gives a unique flavor but also has practical value, providing a recreation area and shelter from the scorching sun. This gazebo can be made with your own hands by putting your fantasies into the design or choosing a standard project.
Pergola structure from the category of small architectural forms, in which vertical supports are combined with horizontal or arched floors between them. Their principal function is to provide climbing plants with support and direction. You will get an excellent gazebo for a summer residence if you introduce a canopy into such a system to protect from precipitation.
A distinctive feature of pergolas arbors is their lightness and simplicity of construction. This is an open structure, the walls of which are made up of vertical posts with openwork elements so that the climbing plants can grow upward, braiding them and creating a natural screen. Between the seats, a lattice overlap is made, on which the roofing is laid.
Making a pergola for a summer residence, the owner solves the main problem – arranging a place for rest without protecting it from fresh air. Naturally, such a structure should have the necessary strength, protection from rain and wind, convenience, and aesthetic appeal. The classic and most common option for a summer cottage is a wooden structure. It is easy to build it with your own hands, and this malleable material makes it possible to embody any fantasy into reality.
An essential element is the plants that braid the walls. Their choice should be approached very carefully, providing shade, aroma, and beauty. It should also be remembered that this structure must fit into the overall landscape design of the site, be easy to use, and have an uncomplicated approach. In addition, when designing a form, you should think about what kind of view opens from the pavilion.
For a gazebo with your own hands, various standard and original projects can be used. The most straightforward design combines two or more wooden pergolas into a single system with a roof installation. Regardless of the external form, the plan includes the following main elements:
- Vertical racks. For their manufacture, a wooden beam of 10×10 cm is usually used. The number of frames depends on the dimensions of the structure. As a rule, they are installed at the corners (4 pcs.) and the formation of an entrance (2 pcs.).
- Longitudinal beams. With their help, pergolas are erected; two vertical beams are connected at the top to each other. You can use a 5×15 cm bar.
- Crossbars. They are designed to connect pergolas. It is recommended to use timber of 4×10 cm.
- Trellis panels. These decorative elements are attached between the posts to support climbing plants and give a finished look to the pavilion. The simplest option is a crate of 2×4 or 4×4 cm slats.
- Roof. The roof is mounted on longitudinal and transverse beams and can have different designs (1 or 2 slopes, a tent). To give the desired shape, rafter technology is used. The roof is essential to be lightweight but protects from precipitation and does not break off in wind gusts.
To make a pergola gazebo made of wood, you will need the following tool:
- a circular saw;
- garden drill;
- plumb line;
- building level;
- Metal ruler.
How to make a simple summer cottage pergola? Consider the features of making it with your own hands from wood step by step:
- Choosing a location taking into account the wind load, the surrounding landscape, and the terrain. Clearing and leveling the building site.
- Development of drawings. To do this, you can choose a typical project or develop a structure yourself, but always concerning a specific installation site.
- The marking of the structure, for which the pegs mark the places where the supports are installed.
- Digging or drilling holes to install racks. As a rule, the vertical bar is deepened by one-third of its length. So, with a standard height of the pavilion of 2.5 m, a hole is dug to a depth of 0.8-0.9 m. To form holes, it is best to use a garden drill.
- Installation of racks. Vertical supports can be installed in several ways, depending on the load on them. The strip foundation is used with a weighted structure with a massive roof, a trench is dug for its manufacture, formwork is installed, and concrete is poured around the pavilion’s perimeter. Monolithic platform – the installation of racks on it is carried out using anchors. Pile foundation – each frame is poured with concrete individually. First, a rubble cushion and sand are run, the rack is installed strictly vertically, and the concrete is poured. Installation without foundation – with a lightweight design, there is often no need for a concrete base: the timber is immersed in the ground for a third of its length, the compaction is provided by crushed stone with careful ramming.
- Installation of cross beams. They are attached between 2 posts in the same direction. The most common way of joining supports and cross beams is a tongue-and-groove system. Strengthening is achieved by using brackets, brackets, additional fastening with screws.
- Installation of cross beams. To combine them with the pergolas, appropriate cutouts are made in timber. It should be borne in mind that they become the basis for the roof.
- Roof installation. A rafter system is installed, on which the crate is attached. Further, roofing material is applied to it.
- Fastening trellis panels. They are fixed at the selected height between the posts.
A gazebo in the form of a pergola will fit perfectly in a suburban area. It will add aesthetics to the design and provide a shady seating area.