In almost every private house or summer cottage courtyard, you can see flower beds, flower beds, neatly trimmed lawns, shrubs, and trees. The front garden is a harmonious combination of these elements. A competent approach to the arrangement gives the estate bright colors, uniqueness, and neatness. To make the overall look neat, it is essential to choose the right plants, design style and consider compatibility with the fence.
Pros and Cons
A front garden is a part of the courtyard in front of a residential building, which is located in full view of everyone. Installation of a fence or curb is allowed around.
To decorate the front garden, use the following key details:
- Different types of flowers, herbs, shrubs, trees;
- Decorative stones;
- Low fence;
- Small artificial reservoir, fountain;
- Garden furniture;
- Statues, sculptures.
Depending on the area of the property next to it, you can make a harmonious transition to the playground. An essential requirement for dimensions is that the size of the front garden should not exceed ⅔ of the size of a residential building on the site.
When planning the location, decor, design style, compatibility with the architecture of the main building is always taken into account. The garden green zone should emphasize the beauty of the estate, fill it with bright colors.
The advantages of arranging a beautiful front garden:
1. Thanks to tall plants, lush shrubs, you can hide the house from prying eyes.
2. If there is space among the green zone, you can organize a small playground from a swing, a sandbox, a playhouse.
3. This is an excellent disguise for dumpsters.
4. For this area of the local area to bear fruit, fruit trees can be planted on it.
5. An ensemble of flowers and other greenery will help hide the imperfections of the facade of the building.
The only negative is that the garden must be maintained regularly. This includes watering, cleaning weeds, plowing the ground, feeding, planting new species, and removing old roots.
The most suitable fencing in front of the house
A closed or open fence is installed in front of the front garden from the street side. If there is enough space, it is filled with different types of plants, which in height will hide the central part of the fence and delight you with a riot of colors.
It is convenient to make a solid fence:
- Brick, stone;
If you plan to enclose the house with a brick fence, you will have to fill in the foundation. The best option is shallow tape. The exciting idea is to combine brick pillars with sections from a different material (forging, polycarbonate, corrugated board). An alternative is to pick up contrasting shades of bricks so that the design will look more attractive. The foundation will also have to be poured under the concrete fence. Decorating gray walls is allowed by laying flagstone, clinker, decorative plaster. A wall made of a professional sheet is often found in summer cottages, in villages, in the private sector. Such a fence will cost you cheap and will last a long time. It is installed – the sheets are attached to the posts from the metal profile with self-tapping screws or rivets. The crossbars are shaped pipes of a smaller diameter.
Under such a fence, it is not necessary to fill a foundation of great depth. The combined version of brick pillars with profiled sheet spans looks good.
A wooden wall always looks appropriate and beautiful, especially if a residential building is built of wood.
The material is used:
- Twigs of trees;
- Hemp, pieces of logs.
Budget raw materials – croaker, branches. The croaker is cleaned of bark and fastened with gaps or close to each other.The branches are neatly intertwined with each other, creating low fences in a rustic style. Such hedges are still found in the village as the leading fence or decorate the backyard, garden, and flower beds.
Boards, picket fences can be positioned as you like:
- At an angle;
Bars with a carved top have an unusual appearance. Using a picket fence as a material obliges the owners to look after the front garden carefully. And the fence will have to be painted or varnished every few years.
A durable alternative is the picket fence. It has a protective layer against corrosion, does not need painting. It will be possible to distinguish the euroshtaketnik from wooden planks only close.
For decoration, plastic fences are also made of polycarbonate, chain-link mesh, and welded reinforcement bars. Border tape has become widespread. From available tools, car tires, plastic or glass bottles, old pallets are used.
What are the best plants to plant, and how to place
To properly plan and beautifully arrange a green area, it is worth considering the following points:
1. The size of the plants you will be planting on the lawn. Large branches of trees in a small area will knock on the windows with strong gusts of wind, create a constant shadow.
2. From which side the sunlight falls. The choice of the type of plants (sun-loving or shade-tolerant) depends on this. 3. How often can you take care of the green area. Unpretentious plants practically do not require attention, and you will have to regularly take care of capricious flowers. 4. Choose the right focal (center) point and start from it—plant a sapling, lush bush in the center. Gradually create an overall picture, ennoble the front garden.
5. The number of costs for planting material. It is not always pleasant to buy all the plants you like at a time. Therefore, you can plant in stages, filling the voids with annuals. Such flowers have weak roots, and it will be easy to get rid of them if necessary.
6. Stocking density. Different flowers, trees should not interfere with each other’s growth.
7. You need to think about a place to rest, where to put a bench if the area allows, then a gazebo with barbecue.
Plants can be grown both in the ground and placed in flower pots, containers, pots. It is necessary to consider the permissible distances according to the law when planting plants and trees. Essential requirements, recommendations of SNiP are given in the article: ” Rules for planting trees on the site .” Let’s take a more intimate look at the different types of plants.
The following perennials are perfect for a front garden:
1. Peonies. They stand out against the rich foliage of the background.
2. Roses. Moreover, there are different types: ground cover, floribunda, climbing. Roses will beautifully wrap around a mesh fence.
3. Rudbeckia. The flowers are yellow. Suitable for any front garden design.
4. Hydrangeas. They add a romantic atmosphere to the corner. Bloom for a long time.
5. Host. Perennial. It grows well where there is partial shade.
6. Delphinium. Tall, straight plants. Used as a background for lobelia, viola, cineraria.
7. Gaillardia. They look like miniature sunflowers. They bloom long and bright.
Perennials are successfully combined with decorative greenery, annual flowers, shrubs.
The main plus of annuals is lush flowering, bright colors. They create a beautiful picture in the landscape design of the site.
It is an irreplaceable element of mixed borders, flower beds, alpine slides.
They can be used for landscaping garden paths unusually, planting them in a row along the curb.
A magnificent view of the green corner will be given by:
Inside the front garden, you can arrange cobblestones of unusual shapes, sizes, pour colored gravel.
Ornamental shrubs make up the contrasting background of the mixed border.
The following works well:
- Scumpia. Volumetric inflorescences. During the flowering period, it seems that the bushes are shrouded in haze.
- Barberry Thunberg. Shrubs of the same species have many colors: from burgundy, yellow, to light green.
- Euonymus. Variegated types look very impressive.
- Tamarisk. They stand out against the rich foliage of the background. Inflorescences are pink.
If it is decided to design a hedge as a fence, then the following are perfect:
Growing up, these shrubs will become a solid wall. To maintain a neat appearance, they will have to be trimmed periodically.
You can also improve the green area with conifers. They are equally beautiful all year round, and they are not afraid of frost, so they will winter without losing their attractiveness. They are short and tall.
Undersized look good:
Against the background of a mowed lawn, spherical or pyramidal thuja are always appropriate. If they are planted close, they will block the house from the street and serve as a hedge. It is essential not to overload the yard with conifers. Otherwise, the composition will lose its expressiveness.
It is better to choose slow-growing plants. The list of items is as follows:
- Thuja western Globosa;
- Thuja western Smaragd;
- Dwarf spruce Little Gem;
- Dwarf spruce Glauca Globosa;
- Rocky juniper Skyrocket;
- Rocky Juniper Blue Arrow;
- Juniper scaly Blue Carpet.
From a combination of different types, beautiful compositions are obtained. So, Mahonia with holly looks attractive, Potentilla growing along the path. Subject to constant watering, an evergreen cistus will delight with leaves.
Fit into any front garden style. They are planted in groups in the ground, vases, containers. They are used to decorate mixed borders and garden paths.
- blue fescue;
- maned barley;
- cortaderia (pampas grass);
Decor elements in the front garden
When decorating the corner in the chosen style, it is essential to apply bright details to make the composition complete and not spoil it.
An artificial pond, even a small one, can create a cozy and comfortable atmosphere for relaxation. The plants around seem greener, fresher. This corner of nature will have a calming effect.
Nearby you can put a bench, garden swing. Stones can surround the shore, plants that love the water can be planted around.
The container is dug almost entirely into the soil. You can lay pebbles, crushed stone around the perimeter. Water is poured inside. Garden figurines of frogs and ducks are placed on the sides.
It is rarely used as the main fence, but it perfectly complements the forged bar from the inner side of the yard. If the house is located near the motorway, the green wall will help protect from dust, exhaust gases, prying eyes. Shrubs planted in a row will decorate flower beds, a garden, a path around the site.
Suitable material for outdoor use:
Figures of animals, gnomes, cartoon characters will do.
If you don’t have the funds to purchase a ready-made sculpture, you can construct one yourself with readily available materials.
A well-groomed path is an integral part of the yard’s design. The course is necessary to freely pass to the house, a gazebo with a barbecue, an outdoor stove, or a vegetable garden without damaging the planted plants. It is better to plan it first in the form of a diagram. You can make it straight, florid.
- stone, gravel, crushed stone;
- paving, rubber tiles;
- concrete blocks;
- clinker brick.
A border is installed on the sides for convenience. Annual flowers are planted alongside.
Using wood on top of the soil layer is short-lived and requires frequent antiseptic treatment.
If the area in front of the house allows, then it will be original to build a neat bridge – the transition between the zones of the front garden. This element gives the site an extraordinary beauty.
They put it over a pond, stream, or it becomes a continuation of the path. For manufacturing, decoration, wood is used, sometimes combined with forging. There are stone and brick constructions.
A lawn is a way to arrange the area in front of the house neatly and quickly. Many owners do not want to plant plants, constantly care for them, and produce a lawn.
The site will look well-groomed but straightforward. It is essential not to forget to cut the lawn promptly.
Flower beds, container garden
In palisades, plants can be planted not only in open ground but also in containers.
Well suited for this:
- pots are square, round, rectangular;
- wooden boxes;
- old carts;
- containers for food products;
- old buckets, watering pans, pans.
You can install such portable flower beds on the house’s porch, hang them on hooks to the roof, walls of buildings. The combination of plants that are planted in the ground also looks good.
A step-by-step plan for decorating the front garden with your own hands
The step-by-step order of work looks like this:
1. Soil preparation. It means fertilizing, loosening the top layer.
2. Fastening of additional elements (arches, grates for climbing plants, awnings).
3. Layout of paths.
4. Installation of a decorative reservoir, fountain, statues, bridge.
5. Planting plants, shrubs.
6. Mulching the soil.
Laying the finishing elements of the decor (stones).
Popular design styles
Let’s analyze the directions of landscape design, in which green areas in the courtyard are most often decorated.
In this style, it is always appropriate to decorate a private courtyard in the city and village. The details are sloppy. There are no requirements for the combination of shades, tightness.
The photo above is a vivid example of the country’s use when decorating the landscape—a small pond with a simple bridge. The wheel from the old cart is fixed to the beam. The yard is fenced with branches. There is a low fence made of boards around the flower bed. As for the choice of plants, preference is given to shrubs, perennial flowers, trees that do not require special care.
The style came from the south coast of France. This is how courtyards and houses in French villages were designed.
A small neat fountain with benches around it. The harmonious combination of flowers in pots and planted in the ground.
Natural materials prevail in the decoration and decoration of the courtyard – wood, stone. The paths are carefully laid out of stone. Provence is distinguished by a riot of herbs, flowers, climbing plants.
The use of vivid colors and a variety of decorative bushes is typical.
The flower beds are fenced with low stone borders. Installation of a fountain, thematic sculptures is possible. Flowers are planted in large vases, pots. They also grow in open ground. The main thing is to combine colors and shades harmoniously.
Differs in restraint of decor and shades. Stones are used in large quantities.
Perhaps the presence of an artificial pond, the creation of a rock garden.
A Japanese-style courtyard should convey a calm atmosphere, tranquility. Of the materials, the natural stone of various breeds predominates. As a decoration, you can make an alpine slide.
Modern direction. Here, natural materials are combined with artificial ones. The design should be laconic, not overloaded with details. There is a maximum of free space for relaxation.