Today on the blog we are introducing a new series from a very familiar old friend, Mel. You might remember her from her beautiful living room reveal or as one of the designers over here at EHD. Well, she is off in the design world doing wonderful things on her own, but we decided that it would be fun to start a new series where we ask her to highlight some of her favorite makers, artists, creatives and goods from Etsy and showcase them together here on the blog in a reoccurring “finds” series. Take it away Mel.
Hello again EHD world, it’s Mel! For those of you who may not remember me, I’m Melanie Burstin an interior designer and former member of the Emily Henderson Design Team. When Emily restructured I went off on my own, and though things are going really well with my private clients, when she asked me to be a contributing writer I said “Yes! Please! I miss everyone!”
Today I’m going to introduce you to a series where I dig and dig through Etsy, pull out my favorites and introduce you to some amazing artists and small brands. As a designer, it is my job to shop and source for clients and I attempt to balance this out by trying to shop smart, small and honest. I’m not perfect but I really strive for the majority of my things to be either vintage or handmade. So when Emily emailed me suggesting I use my online shopping skills to highlight unknown makers for you, I couldn’t believe how perfect that sounded. I LOVE Etsy, but I know the site can be really overwhelming to sift through. So with this series I hope to make it easier so we can all support some well deserved artists making some beautiful goods.
1. Cashmere Scarf – It’s been mildly brisk in Los Angeles these last few weeks and to say I’ve been living in cashmere is both true and embarrassing ( especially as a former east-coaster). I love the texture and color of this cashmere scarf. And while it’s a bit on the pricier side, I think it would make a lovely gift. I would know because I would love someone to send it to me.
2. Minimalist Geometric Vase – This vase has all the things I love – A simple design, a pretty neutral color, and a grooved detail that keeps it interesting.
3. Floating Shelf – This shelf makes me feel so many wonderful things. Again, it’s simple but it’s also fun. The blue tone is a nice pop of color and I can imagine it in a kitchen instead of upper cabinets or even in a kids room over the changing table or desk.
4. Herkimer Diamond Ring – I wear one thin gold ring every day and as you may already know, am a big believer in less is more. But I think this ring does a really nice job of spicing up the simple thin gold band into something more playful with a Herkimer diamond (which isn’t really a diamond at all, and much more affordable).
1. Silk Chiffon Shorts – So delicate, so light, and so, so, so pretty. These give me serious ‘lazy-summer-mourning-lounging-in-the-sunroom’ vibes.
2. Hand-painted Wood Earrings – Statement earrings are having a moment, are they not? These dangle earrings will make a perfect addition to your rapidly growing collection. They’re made out of reclaimed wood, hand painted, and they have polka dots on them. I repeat, they have polka dots on them.
3. Block Printed Pillow – It’s really hard to create a pattern that will add a pop of contrast and also still be able to act like a neutral and disappear. I think this pillow does just that.
4. Wooden Bath Tray – Full disclosure, I’m not a bath person. But this bath tray almost makes me want to take the plunge. (I am so, so sorry for this horrible pun. Please forgive me.) But this tray is something that just about any bath person would appreciate, and it can also be customized with a quote or engraving.
1. Whale Stuffed Animal – Generic stuffed animals are just about everywhere so a unique one like this feels really special. I’ve had my eye on this stuffed animal maker for a few years now. How adorable and whimsical is this whale.
2. Hardwood Bookshelf – This bookshelf really does it for me. It’s makers describe the piece as ‘mid-century’, but it feels more unique than that. I get a slight Japanese feel from it, and if something is wood and feels Japanese, I have to have it. Beyond that it’s simple but the detailing still makes it feel unique and one of a kind.
3. Linen Picnic Blanket With Drawstring Bag – It’s part bag and part picnic blanket. Inside of the linen drawstring bag is a large blanket that comes out for you to take to the beach, play with the kids on or maybe even do the “picnic” thing on. It comes in a handful of simple colors and is something that will only get better with age and many washings.
4. Oak Coffee Table – Okay, you’re probably catching on that a recurring theme with me is ‘simple’ right? Simple without being boring is not an easy feat but this coffee table does just that. The slight details in the top create interest without making it fussy. It would be a great compliment to a chunkier sofa.
1. Modern Lounge Chair – Is this chair is a little weird? Yes. But weird is cool. It feels like a slightly different take on a handful of chairs I’m seeing in a lot of projects lately. It would look great in a corner of your home for a geometric pop that still feels organic and neutral.
2. Temporary Floral Tattoos – A lot of us go through a phase where we want something inked on our bodies permanently. But for many of us, it’s just that – a phase. These temporary flower tattoos are the perfect answer to your indecision.
3. Vase – Can you believe that this vase is handmade in 2018 and not in fact stolen out of Cleopatras tomb? I have no idea if that reference is even remotely accurate but I do know that I love how vintage this vase feels. The shape is also so soft and playful and finding a vase that feels special and timeless is harder than it sounds, which is why this one is such a good option. The ceramicist also takes commissions so you could order one for everyone in your family if you feel so obliged.
4. Brass Wall Hook – I’ve been seeing a lot of gorgeous wood hooks lately, but not many other types. These brass hooks would add a nice splash of metallic to any entrance area or inside the closet storage situation.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my first Etsy roundup and are excited to see more! Let me know in the comments what you might purchase and if any of you have tried any of these products before let me know below. I wish you an easy wait and a skilled UPS driver to assure your packages arrive safely.