The temple complex of Philae was originally build on Philae, an island in the reservoir of the Aswan Low Dam (Lake Nasser), Egypt. Since the initial construction of the Aswan Low Dam in 1902, the area have been flooded so the temple complex was dismantled, piece by piece, and moved to the nearby Agilkia Island as part of the UNESCO Nubia Campaign project, protecting this and other complexes before the 1970 completion of the Aswan High Dam.
Although there are several temples and buildings located on Philae, the largest and the most famous is the Temple of Isis. Here, the ancient Egyptians worshiped the goddess Isis as well as Osiris and Horus (her son).
The Temples of Philae were venerated from the Pharaonic era through the Greek, Roman, and Byzantine periods with each ruler making their own additions to the stones here.
March 15, 2019
Impression of the original temple:
Saving the Philae Temples (AP Archive):