The one silver lining of the pandemic was all our family meal times. I was cooking A LOT. One of our favorite family breakfasts that we’ve adopted into our rotation is a giant breakfast spread. I realize I didn’t invent this but I swear we kind of fine tuned and perfected it. It originally came about because we didn’t have a toaster and it was just easier to toast everything all at once on a cookie sheet. We soon discovered it was a bit of a novelty to lay everything out on a big board at the same time with a ton of different toppings.
Bagels are pictured here but we’ve also used plain ol’ toast or English Muffins. It is honestly so easy and everyone is always impressed. I think the secret to this meal is two things: 1. To toast everything in the oven at the same time and 2. It is good to use small sizes like mini bagels or else cut the toast in half because half of the fun is trying lots of different creations on each one–you can go savory or you could go sweet–the ultimate brunch conundrum, now YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL!
Here’s how I make this giant spread for a big group in less than ten minutes.
- Turn the oven on to 450 degrees to start heating up.
- Get out a cookie sheet and lightly butter (kids can help!) I usually don’t even wait for the preheat and just throw it in the oven and set a timer for 6 minutes. While it is toasting, I prepare the toppings.
- Get out a big cutting board and directly on it cut up: tomatoes, shallots or green onions and avocado. Add a handful of spinach or lettuce. Put out spreads like jam, cream cheese. (Leave space to put your breads.)
- Check on the carbs in the oven, they are either ready or need 1-3 more minutes (don’t let them burn!) When they’re ready, dump them directly onto the cutting board.
- That’s it! You’re done. Stand there while everyone compliments you. PS: Sometimes I add a bowl of fruit or a smoothie, or a quick batch of eggs depending on what we have in the cupboard to supplement.
What’s your favorite easy breakfast?