This tutorial is long overdue. I actually posted a picture of this hairstyle on
This is one of my favorite hairstyles for Spring and Summer though because it’s a quick way to get the hair up and out of the way and even works on wet hair too!
If you’ve already tried and love this style, be sure to let me in the comments below! xo, Missy
Dutch Braid and Low Bun Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- Bobby pins
- Hair band
- Medium-hold hairspray
Dutch Braid and Low Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by parting the hair on the right side
- Step 2 / Divide out a section of hair to frame the face.
- Step 3 / Pick up a triangle shaped section on the heavy side of the part and divide it into three pieces for the braid.
- Step 4 / Cross the right strand under the middle and then the left strand under the middle.
- Step 5 / Cross the right strand under the middle, pick up a new section of hair and cross it under and into the middle strand.
- Step 6 / Then cross the left strand under the middle, pick up a new section of hair and cross it under and into the middle strand.
- Step 7 / Repeat those steps, crossing the side strands under the middle strand while bringing in new sections of hair from along the part line and along the left side of the head.
- Step 8 / Once all the hair from along the part line is brought into the braid, start bringing in sections from the right side of the head and continue braiding the hair in a diagonal towards the nape of the neck.
- Step 9 / Once all the hair from the sides of the head are brought into the braid, continue the braid a little further down and slide two bobby pins over the end so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 10 / Go back over the braid, pulling on the edges to make it wider and more full.
- Step 11 / Now combine all of the hair together and wrap it once with a hair band, remove the bobby pins from the ends of the braid and then wrap it twice more, only pulling the hair half way through on the last loop.
- Step 12 / Take a few sections of the bun and pin them against the head with bobby pins.
- Step 13 / Then take the ends that are left sticking out and divide them into two sections.
- Step 14 / With the right section, twist it together, pull on the edges to make the twist fuller, and then wrap it over the hair band, pinning it on the left side of the bun with bobby pins.
- Step 15 / Then take the ends on the left side, twist them together and wrap them over the bun, pinning them on the right side.
- Step 16 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.