I promised a video tutorial for
This hairstyle incorporates two braids trailing up to two little messy buns and it’s a lot easier to do than you might think. My favorite tip is flipping your head upside down so the hair stays out of the way as you braid.
This a really fun way to style your hair for the gym, especially with the braids, and would easily transition into an everyday style. I hope you enjoy the tutorial and be sure to let me know what you think down below in the comments!
Double Dutch Braid High Buns Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 2 Hair bands
- 2 clear elastic bands
- Bobby pins
- Medium-hold hairspray
Double Dutch Braid High Bun Instruction:
- Step 1 / Start by parting the hair wherever you normally part it. I did a diagonal part from the left side back towards the right
- Step 2 / Then part the hair down the back of the head creating two halves.
- Step 3 / Then tie off one side.
- Step 4 / Next flip your head upside down and pick up a small section of hair at the nape of neck, dividing it into three sections for the braid.
- Step 5 / Begin a dutch braid by crossing the right strand under the middle and then the left strand under the middle.
- Step 6 / Now cross the right strand under the middle and then pick up a new section of hair crossing it under the middle as well.
- Step 7 / Then do the same thing on the left side crossing the left strand under the middle and bringing a new section into the braid.
- Step 8 / Repeat those steps crossing the side strands under the middle strand and working up the head.
- Step 9 / Once you’ve brought in a section of hair at the top of the ear then just braid the section a little further down in a regular braid.
- Step 10 / Cross a bobby pin over the bottom of the braid so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 11 / Then do the same thing with the hair on the left creating a second dutch braid, adding in hair until the braid reaches the ear and then braid a little further down and cross a bobby pin over the end.
- Step 12 / Next combine all of the hair on the right side together and wrap a hair band once over the hair and then twist it over your dominant hand.
- Step 13 / Remove the bobby pins from the ends of the braid and carefully unravel it.
- Step 14 / Now flip the ponytail forwards and spread it around the hair band to form the base of the bun.
- Step 15 / Then wrap the hair band twice more over this base.
- Step 16 / Then gently pull on the edges to make it a little bigger and tighten it against the head.
- Step 17 / Now do the same thing with the hair on the left side, creating a little bun next to the first one.
- Step 18 / With the ends left sticking out, loop them back towards the hair band and tuck them in creating another loop.
- Step 19 / Then bobby pin down any pieces that are sticking out and go back over the braids pulling on the edges so they’re wider.
- Step 20 / Then set the style with a medium-hold hairspray.