I’ve got a pretty special papercraft to share with you today, diy woven paper heart baskets. These woven paper hearts are traditionally a Christmas decoration in Denmark and are hung from a Christmas tree but I think they make a beautiful Valentine as well.
They seem a little tricky to begin with but once you’ve got the hang of it they are actually quite easy to make. Before you know it you’ll have a whole bunch of these woven paper heart baskets to fill with treats and gift to your sweet Valentine.
1. Print out the
If you’re using patterned paper print the template out onto the back of your paper and re-fold it so the printed lines are on the inside.
2. Start by weaving the first strip of red paper between the 2 layers of the pink strip.
Instead of the traditional over and under weaving technique you want to think of it as weaving inside and out. So you’ll taking the red strip and place it inside the pink strip. This is what creates the pocket.
3. Next thread the pink strip between the red strip. Then red through pink and finally pink through red.
4. For the next strip alternate and weave the pink through the red and then the red through the pink. You should be able to see a checkerboard pattern beginning to form.
5. Keep weaving and alternating until all the strips are woven together.
The final strip does take a bit of wiggling so be patient. As always I recommend practicing on some scrap paper first. It helps to push and shift the strips into position as you go.
If you’re really struggling to get the last strip in place it can help to make the strips slightly longer when you first cut them, an extra millimeter or 2 can make all the difference.
7. To finish cut a strip of scrap paper (I used the leftover paper from cutting out the template) and glue to the inside of your basket to make a handle.
8. Fill with candy and give to your Valentine.
P.S. Don’t forget to check out my