Firstly, sorry for the hiatus – I have been unwell, but that’s a story for another day. Today is for making these cute heart accessories with eraser clay! What is eraser clay? It basically feels and moulds into shape almost exactly like regular polymer clay, but after baking this eraser clay, it becomes … you guessed it, an eraser. In fact I think it may even be a little more waxy and easier to deal with than regular polymer clay.
These look like you spent hours weaving with tiny knitting needles, but there is just one basic technique to giving it the ‘knitted’ look, without actually being knitted.
You will need:
- Eraser Clay (affiliate links – I earn a small commission – Thanks )
- Variety of findings depending on your choice ie. brooch pin, bobby pins
- Glue (like E6000)
- X-Acto knife / Scalpel (or cookie cutter)
- Non-stick baking paper (small piece)
- Access to an oven
- Clean and smooth work surface, like a glass table
- Small piece of paper (for template instead of cookie cutter)
1. Cut pieces of clay. I chose pink / white to create a knitted wool look.
2. Gently roll into mini sausages of clay on a smooth surface to the thickness shown.
3. You will need 16 to 20 individual sausages and then pair up (8 to 10 pairs).
4. With two joined straight, gently twist them as one evenly – twist FORWARD.
5. With two joined, gently twist again, this time in a BACKWARDS motion. Join.
6. Continue twisting the pairs to make individual little plaits or braids.
7. Use cookie cutter for larger pieces, Gently press down just like a cookie.
8. For smaller pieces, create a simple template with a pen and cut out with scissors.
9. Use an X-Acto knife for clean edges around the paper template.
10. Finish with one long sausage around the heart. Join at top middle point.
11. Bake for recommended time. Let cool, then glue findings to the eraser clay.
12. Let glue dry, then your cute heart eraser accessories are ready for use!
How easy is that! Just remember to alternate between twisting forwards and backwards. This is what creates the braided look when they are joined together. Evenly twisting also helps to keep the look real, because the braids line up.
With any excess you can easily create the next marble, knit look piece. Just continue to roll your sausages evenly and gently. In the end I only had some tiny pieces left over, so I also made a tiny pair of plain stud (eraser) earrings!
This was a really fun craft and I think they look so much more difficult to make than they actually are. I also like that these are practical as well. Wear these fun eraser clay hearts and have a handy eraser on hand when you need it
Here are some similar products I found below. Affiliate links mean that if you make a purchase from these links, I may earn a small commission. It doesn’t mean you’ll pay more money to pay me this commission, but the small amount I might receive helps to keep this blog afloat (hosting fees, etc) to keep bringing FREE Craft DIYs to you. Thank You Lovely People