– 1 packet frozen phyllo pastry
– 2 bunches small-medium stems green asparagus
– 1/4 block of parmesan cheese, grated
– sea salt
– fresh black pepper
– olive oil
1. Defrost phyllo by following directions on the packet.
2. Blanch asparagus in boiling water very briefly- 30 seconds, you want it to be very crisp still. Allow to cool. Make sure it is dry
3. Cut asparagus tips and stalks into approx. 2” pieces.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Prepare to work with the phyllo: place damp dish towel on counter, pour 1/2 cup of olive oil in small bowl and get wide cooking brush.
6. Place one piece of phyllo horizontally on damp cloth, brush lightly, carefully but quickly with olive oil.
7. Fold in 1/2, fold in 1/2 again. You should have a long rectangle. Use kitchen scissors to cut into 3 equally sized smaller rectangles.
8. Place 4-5 pieces of asparagus centered in top 1/2 of phyllo rectangle. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and grated parmesan. Fold bottom of phyllo up followed by each side, making sure to brush with oil at each stage.
9. Place “basket” on baking sheet covered with parchment.
10. Repeat until you have about 18 baskets, you will need two baking sheets.
11. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.