What a week, and what a year it’s been my friends. If you’ve been a reader for a while you probably know that I tend to keep things light around here. I want this blog to be a safe space where anyone can come to feel inspired and happy. But right now I know that many of you out there, including myself, are hurting and scared. And to be honest, it’s been challenging to go about building beautiful content with the feelings that I’m having about the state of America (and please don’t get me wrong, I love being an American).
Instead of focusing on all the negative that’s happening, I thought it might be best to find out how we can make each other happier and how we can spread more love in this world. Because at the end of the day, that’s what we all need. To love and be loved.
Here are 5 ways you can spread kindness to yourself and to others:
1. Add flowers. When in doubt, flowers make anything better. Get some for yourself and on the way back from the store, drop a bouquet at a friend/family members home.
2. Send a letter/email/text to your friends and let them know that you love them. Be specific and build them up.
3. Give a compliment to a stranger. Seriously, giving someone a compliment is so easy to do and can turn an entire day around. It could even be as easy as leaving an Instagram comment.
4. Volunteer. You could spend all weekend hiding from the world on the couch, or you could get up and help people in your community. You can make a difference. And if you don’t have the time, consider making a small donation to a food bank or local charity.
5. Disconnect from the internet. It’s okay to take time to log off and refresh. In fact it’s a must and I will be doing that this weekend. Let go of all the nonstop news and be present in the moment. Host a game night, read a book, go dancing, go hiking, hell go shopping. Find the thing that brings you joy and give in 100%; your happiness will be contagious.